UES096-01.jpg (82507 bytes) New York Architecture Images-Upper East Side

Lucy Drexel Dahlgren House
later the Pierre Cartier House


Ogden Codman


15 East 96th street, Bet. Fifth And Madison Aves.















neo-French townhouse at 15 East 96th Street, a New York City Landmark, designed by the noted architect Ogden Codman in 1915 and currently owned by the Singer Foundation, recipient of Friends of the Upper East Side Historic Districts Award and also being considered for designation as a National Landmark.
  On August 2, 1865, Mrs. Dahlgren married Admiral John Adolph Dahlgren (1809-1870), the famous naval officer and inventor of the Dahlgren gun [both parent's of Lady Decies'first husband]. Together they had three children, Ulrica Mary Madeleine, Eric, and John Vinton. The last was a well-known lawyer, whose work as attorney of the New York Department of Buildings, culminated in his book, "Dahlgren's Building-Law Manual" (1897). He was married to Elizabeth Drexel [later Lady Decies], the third daughter of Joseph W. Drexel of Philadelphia. His brother Eric, also, married Lucy Drexel, the second daughter. John Vinton and Eric are also alumni of Georgetown University. The former graduated with an A.B. in 1889, an M.A. in 1891, LL.B. 1891, and LL.M. 1892. Eric entered in 1881 but did not graduate. The Georgetown University Archives houses a fair amount of material about the Dahlgren family. This includes 4 folders in the Alumni Files about John Vinton Dahlgren, including autograph letters from him to various university administrators. In addition, files, comprising 0.50 linear feet, are available on the Dahlgren Memorial Chapel located on the main campus of the university. The chapel was a gift of John Vinton and his wife Eliza Drexel, built in memory of their son, Joseph Drexel Dahlgren who died in infancy (1891). He is buried now in the chapel in the Dahlgren family crypt. Cardinal James Gibbons officiated at the laying of the cornerstone to the chapel in May 1892.