UES036-01.jpg (39454 bytes) New York Architecture Images-Upper East Side

East  70th Street


apartments designed by Rosario Candela and the firm of Walker & Gillette


East  70th Street, Bet. Fifth And Madison Aves.




Renaissance Revival




Apartment Building





Some commentary by various authors;

Robert A. M. Stern, Gregory Gilmartin and Thomas Mellins, "New York 1930, Architecture and Urbanism Between The Two World Wars," (Rizzoli International, 1987).
"The replacement in 1927-28 by the developer Anthony Campagna of the C. Ledyard Blair mansion, only nine years after it had been built, with apartments designed by Rosario Candela (who ultimately was to design nineteen apartment houses on Fifth Avenue) and the firm of Walker & Gillette was the most dramatic signal that an era had abruptly ended," 
"The Blair house had been designed by Carrère & Hastings as a southern wall to the garden they had created for their Frick Mansion across the street. While the new apartment building, known as 2 East Seventieth Street, permanently robbed the Frick garden of southern light, the architects nonetheless sensitively restarted the Blair House parti at a much greater height. The apartment was further distinguished by its combination of simplex and duplex units."

Andrew Alpern, "The New York Apartment Houses of Rosario Carpenter and James Carpenter" (Acanthus Press, 2001), 
"Builder Campagna bought the site for a record price on upper Fifth Avenue of $170 per square foot. The new apartment building was constructed with the westerly two-thirds of each floor laid out as a large eight-room simplex unit with the living room spanning the Fifth Avenue frontage. At the east end of the building there were 14 extra servants' rooms on the second and third floors, a duplex on the fourth and fifth floors, and three stacked triplexes above."