New York Architecture Images- Gone / Demolished / Destroyed

Studebaker Building


designed by James Brown Lord, who also designed Delmonico's Restaurant


1600 Broadway




Victorian Warehouse


Sherwood Equities





Studebaker Building

The Studebaker Building is a former establishment at 1600 Broadway (Manhattan) on the northeast corner and 48th Street. It was erected by the Juilliard Estate in 1902 between Broadway (Manhattan) and 7th Avenue, in the area north of Times Square. The edifice was demolished in 2004 to make room for an apartment tower, a twenty- five story, 136 unit, luxury condominium designed by architect Einhorn Yaffee Prescott.

The Studebaker Building was ten stories high and occupied the entire block front between Broadway and 7th, facing Broadway for one hundred thirteen feet. It was built from the Juilliard estate, seeking a thoroughly safe income upon what was doubtless a very modest appraisal of the property's value. The structure covered the southern end of the block at Broadway and 49th Street. It was fireproof and fronted 48th Street for one hundred and four feet.


The Studebaker Building was designed by James Brown Lord, who also designed Delmonico's Restaurant at 44th Street and Fifth Avenue (Manhattan). The exterior was composed of red brick and terra cotta with the employment of the anthemion motif in a repeated manner in the terra cotta as well as in the large projecting cornice at the roof level. [8] Architecturally its floors were two feet higher than many lofts of the era. Another advantage proved to be the structure's abundant facilities for light.

In 1979 the edifice appeared on a list of more than two hundred recommended for landmark consideration by the staff of the Landmarks Preservation Commission. However the panel never acted on this. The 1979 report omitted the Studebaker identification and regarded the establishment as a standard office building. Its construction date was listed erroneously as 1912 and its design was falsely attributed as the work of a minor architectural firm.

In July 2000 the former Studebaker showroom was the Texas Texas restaurant. The building lost its cornice in 1988 but was still a fixture of Times Square. Its chamfered corners and broad arched windows were still evident to observers. The absence of its elaborate cornice hurt its chances of gaining national historic landmark protection against demolition. Only three other Manhattan buildings which lacked cornices have received landmark designation. Robert Redlion, an engineer employed by the owner, submitted plans to repair ornamental cornice in October 1999. A 1987 facade inspection filed with New York City concluded the cornice was safe. Redlion and the owner contended that the ornamental molding was dangerous, with pieces having fallen on the ground. However no violations had been filed against the cornice.