New York Architecture Images-New York Architects

York and Sawyer 

  New York works;
Pict0493.jpg (134305 bytes) NY_HISTORICAL.jpg (44486 bytes)  


023 Bowery Savings Bank 090 New York Athletic Club

170 CPW-New York Historical Society (022)

027-Central Savings Bank
Edward York (1863–1928) and Philip Sawyer (1868–1949) had both trained in the office of McKim, Mead, and White. In 1898, York and Sawyer established their own firm, which became especially successful in the design of banks and hospitals. The firm's bank buildings are among the finest built in the United States in the early decades of the twentieth century. These palatial Renaissance and Classical bank buildings express the interest that the directors of savings banks had in erecting buildings where working people could bank in splendor. Among the great banks designed by York and Sawyer are the Italian Renaissance-inspired Brooklyn Trust Company (1913–16) on the corner of Montague and Clinton Streets in Brooklyn Heights and Central Savings Bank (1926–28) on Broadway and Seventy-third Street; the Classical Revival style Greenwich Savings Bank (1922–24) on Broadway and Thirty-sixth Street; and the Byzantine-inspired Bowery Savings Bank (192123) on East Forty-second Street. The firm's largest bank was that designed for the Federal Reserve (1919–24) on Maiden Lane. Each of these banks has a magnificent banking hall with a spectacular use of marble, stone, iron, and other materials.