New York Architecture Images-New York Architects
|New York works;|
|012 Church of the Holy Communion||022 Church of the Holy Apostles||021 Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava||011Church of the Ascension|
|047 TRINITY CHURCH||002 St. George’s Episc. Church|
1802–78, American architect, b. England.
He came to the United States in 1829. A skilled cabinetmaker and
draftsman, he lived first in Manlius, N.Y., and then in New Bedford,
Mass., where he set himself up as an architect. His first commissions
were private houses in Bangor, Maine (1833–36). He had executed St.
John's Church, Bangor (1836–39), and several smaller commissions when in
1839 he was engaged to rebuild Trinity Church, New York City. Moving to
New York, he established an office there. The new Trinity Church (1846)
was carefully modeled on English examples and inaugurated a new phase in
the Gothic revival. Upjohn designed the old St. Thomas's Church in New
York City (later burned), several churches in Brooklyn, the chapel of
Bowdoin College, smaller Gothic churches, and many residences. He was a
founder of the American Institute of Architects and its first president
(1857–76). His son, Richard Michell Upjohn, 1828–1903, architect
of the Connecticut State Capitol, was associated with his father.
See E. M. Upjohn, Richard Upjohn, Architect and Churchman (1939).