New York Architecture Images-New York Architects

Henry Janeway Hardenbergh

  New York works;
wal1.jpg (31921 bytes) manhattanhotel1.jpg (70882 bytes) GRP017-100.jpg (38870 bytes)
whhall.jpg (63314 bytes)
017  The Waldorf Astoria 018  The Manhattan Hotel 017 Con Edison Building
033-Loft Building
056a.jpg (38608 bytes) Carnegie Hall in foreground with office tower behind it DAKOTA1.jpg (41096 bytes)  
056 The Plaza Hotel 077 Hotel Martinique 094 Carnegie Hall CPW @ W72nd -Dakota Apartments (017)  
(b New Brunswick, NJ, 6 Feb 1847; d New York, 18 Mar 1918). American architect. He trained (1865–70) in the office of Detlef Lienau in New York. After setting up his own practice, Hardenbergh built (1871–3) a chapel, a library (destr.) and a geology building (destr.) at Rutgers College, New Brunswick, NJ, a commission obtained through family connections. Success came after 1879, when he built the Vancorlear, an early apartment block, on W. 55th Street, New York. This building brought him to the attention of Edward S. Clark, head of the Singer Sewing Machine Co., who had bought a plot of land between the present W. 72nd and 73rd Streets and Eighth and Ninth Avenues. Clark commissioned Hardenbergh to build a housing development (1880–86) for three different social classes, comprising row houses (some destr.), lower-middle-class apartments and, on the most valuable part of the plot fronting on to Eighth Avenue, a daring foray into the luxury apartment market, now known as the Dakota Apartments (1880–84). The façades are in an eclectic style that includes German Renaissance and French château elements. For the Astor Estate in New York, Hardenbergh went on to build the lavish Waldorf Hotel (1893; destr. 1931) and Astoria Hotel (1896; destr. 1931), which established him as a leading architect for luxurious Edwardian hotels. Other such works in New York included the Martinique (1897) and the Plaza (1907; interior altered), and elsewhere the Windsor (1903) in Montreal, Canada, the Willard (1906) in Washington, DC, and the Copley Plaza (1912), in Boston, MA.